Sunday, August 28, 2011

His & Hers Bedside Lamps

For this project I started with a gang of sad, ugly lamp shades. These were purchased from Goodwill for $1-$2. I decided to work on the little ones first.

I cut three long strips from coffee sacks (about 1.5 x the diameter of the shade) for the "girly shade." I sewed large stitches with twine and pulled the twine at the end of the strip before tying to create the ruffled look. The bottom ruffle I sewed right down the middle; for the other ruffles I sewed at the top of the strip.

I arranged the ruffles and secured them with a lot of strategically placed hot glue. I then added some vintage lace to the "girly lamp."

For the "manly lamp" I just glued a large piece of coffee sack on, keeping the braided edge of the piece for the bottom. There is one seam line in the back of this shade. I like how they turned out, and I think they'll look great in our bedroom! I plan to recover the large shades to sell if I have enough coffee sack material left.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, those are super cute, Monique! You are so crafty and creative!

    ReplyDelete